Monday, December 22, 2014

Crock-Pot Christmas


Crock-Pot Christmas
Ever have one of those Christmases when you couldn’t get in the holiday mood? I’m positive I’m not the only one who has had that experience. All the glitter and hype can’t quite shake the reality that this Christmas is not going to be one to remember.
Three months earlier, our family moved from Montana back to Minnesota. I was promised a pastoral position in a church in the Twin Cities. Even though it was an opportunity to be back with relatives and old friends, it meant uprooting our family. It was hard to say goodbye to nine years of relationships. Two large U Hauls and a thousand miles later we were in the big city.
Moving in with Judy’s parents and putting our worldly possessions in storage, we settled in for a season. Then I learned that there was no job available at the church. Now living with the relatives, no income and Christmas was around the corner. I was so full of disappointment and fear that there was no way I was going to enjoy this Christmas.
One evening I took the kids to Target. I needed their help in picking out a present for Judy. As we walked up and down the aisles nothing looked good. Then my eyes fell upon this crock-pot. It was beautiful. I knew this was the gift for her. The kids said, “You have to be crazy Dad to give Mom a crock-pot for Christmas. She won’t like it.” My mind was made up.
Christmas arrived. I knew Judy would love her present. As she unwrapped it I could sense the kids apprehension. When she saw what it was, she looked at me and began to cry. Not tears of appreciation but of frustration and sorrow. I was shocked that she didn’t like that beautiful gift. A lesson learned: never and I mean never give your wife a Christmas gift with a cord attached to it.
God does not give gifts with cords attached. “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”




No comments:

Post a Comment