Monday, May 2, 2016

Golden Years


Golden Years
Recently I made a trip to southwest Florida to settle the estate of an old friend and mentor. She asked that upon her death I come and make sure her wishes were carried out. I had come some months earlier to say farewell and make sure I understood what she wanted me to do. Although now sad to be there in her absence, I honored her request.
Over the years I have visited several retirement communities. When my parents were alive I would regularly visit them in Arizona. Spending time there gave me a unique perspective on retired life. After the initial attraction of freedom without the daily grind of a job, I began to see the challenges of life for the older generation. Listening to my parents and their friends during “happy hour” (the highpoint of the day), I started to see behind the veil of the American retirement dream.
Running the risk of sounding judgmental, I kept hearing recurring themes from those who were living their Golden Years. Everyone was concerned about health; if not their own, then a spouse or a neighbor. Urgent Care and the ER were frequently visited. A sense of depression seemed to be in the air. Idleness and fear of the unknown laid a pall over conversations. The stock market was watched with diligence. Which would come first, death or destitute? Death was a taboo topic during Happy Hour.
I enjoy being around older people. I have learned a lot from people who have survived the challenges of marriage, family and the work world, especially those whose attitude of life is still vibrant. As I look to the future I chose to live life as fully as I am able: spirit, soul and body. The best is yet to come!
Jesus tells us, “I came so you can have real and eternal life, more and better life that you ever dreamed of…”

No comments:

Post a Comment