Monday, January 1, 2018

Tempus Fugit


Tempus Fugit

The Bible says “Seventy years are given to us! Some even live to eighty.” That is a sober reminder that I am not going to live forever. It also means that about three fourths of my life have already been lived. Where have all those years gone. Like the old Latin saying: tempus fugit – time flies!

Today is the first day of the new year. I am hard pressed to remember all that happened these past three hundred and sixty-five days. The world I live in moves so fast that it is near impossible to pause and savor relationships or the daily highs and lows of living. It is true that time stops for no man.

This past Sunday, as I listened to our associate pastor preach the Christmas message, one sentence jumped out at me: “It’s not the years of life that counts but the life in those years that count.” Looking back over the past year, I have lived a lot of life that encompassed family, friends, church, joy and sorrow. What more can one ask of a year passed?

Stability in the midst of constant change is an increasing cry of my heart. There is no going back to the past; only the steping into the new year with the confident expectation that there is more life to be lived. As time marches on I gain strength and courage by the one constant in my life: “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.”

My prayer for the coming year: “Teach me to realize the brevity of life so that I may grow in wisdom.”

A blessed New Year to you, my faithful blog readers. Your comments and encouragements keep me musing.




No comments:

Post a Comment