Monday, February 19, 2018

Be Patient


Be Patient

Twice during the month of January, I was admitted to the hospital. The first time was after a visit to the emergency room where I was diagnosed with pneumonia and confined to a hospital ward for three nights. Two weeks later after another visit to the ER, I was admitted for a weekend with rhino influenza. None of this was on my monthly calendar.

Those who know me readily admit that patience is not my strong suit. I have a hard time standing in line at the grocery check out; at traffic lights; check in lines at the airport and any other obstacles that slow me down from my assigned tasks. I confess it is a life long compulsive disorder that I continue to wrestle with but often without success.

Hospital regimen does not cater to impatience. I was not allowed to go to the bathroom without an attendant. If I tried to get out of bed without a nurse, an alarm went off. I was attached to either an IV or oxygen by a short tether; like a yard dog on a short leash. My only option: did I want coffee or tea with my meals? Why am I so impatient? I am sick. I need care. I am in the right place for all the above. Relax!

As I lay there pondering and dozing, a verse from a children’s song came drifting through my mind. It was one we taught our kids: Patience: Herbert the Snail from the CD Music Machine – The Fruit of the Spirit by Frank Hernandez. The chorus goes like this:

“Have patience, have patience. Don’t be in such a hurry. When you get impatient, you only start to worry. Remember, remember that God is patient, too. And think of all the times when others have to wait for you.”

My convalescence was not only for physical maladies but emotional and spiritual ones as well. Thanks to the doctors, nurses, technicians and attendants who ministered health and modeled patience to me.

On the road again to health and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment