Monday, September 17, 2018

Cookie Monster


Cookie Monster

Back in the days when our kids were small, their daily television entertainment was Sesame Street. I never wanted to admit it, but I liked those Muppet characters who brought smiles to our faces. My favorite was the Cookie Monster. He had a voracious appetite for cookies. His mantra was “Me want cookies!” “Me eat cookies!”

What brought the Cookie Monster to my mind was the aroma of cookies baking in the oven while watching the evening news. Judy is a master cookie maker. She must have got some of her cookie making skills from watch Sesame Street. When she is in the mood, exotic sugar smells pour out of the oven beckoning me to indulge.

The truth is I have an undisciplined sweet tooth. I inherited it from my mother. Mom was a stickler for making sure dessert was part of the meal. I remember hearing her say more than once that the main course should be passed over and move right on to dessert. She was that way to the end of her life. Whenever I visited her in the care facility, she had candy within easy reach.

For years I have tried to convince the ladies in charge of our monthly pot lucks at church to cut back on the salads, fruits, and hot dishes and replace them with desserts. I am convinced you could have all the basic food groups just by serving pie, cakes, brownies and cookies. So far, no luck!

I realize that there is something fundamentally wrong with my taste buds. It is an addiction that I have struggled with all my life (most of the time not very hard). However, like the Cookie Monster, with a mouth full of chocolate chip cookies, all I can say is, “Om nom nom nom.”

Thanks Mom for the sweet tooth. And my dentist thanks you too!




No comments:

Post a Comment