Monday, November 12, 2018

Ticket Counter


Ticket Counter

It was early morning when we arrived at the Mombasa International Airport. Our ministry team had spent a week in East Africa teaching at a Pastors Conference. Eager to begin the journey home, we were the first to check in for our flight to Nairobi and on to Amsterdam and then USA.

International travel is an exercise in patience, especially in Africa where the love of bureaucratic procedure is an art form. The number of rubber stamps needed to get through Immigration defies common sense. The next step was baggage screening through an outdated X-ray machine. Then on to boarding passes.

At the check-in counter, upon submitting my passport, the agent began a computer search for my reservation. After twenty minutes, I was told that my reservation could not be found. Not too surprised, I submitted my printed itinerary. This further confused the agent. I politely asked if I might step over the counter and join her in the search. Shortly my reservation was found with a sigh of relief.

The next step was to have my luggage weighed. Apparently, the flight from Mombasa to Nairobi had weight restrictions. When told that my suitcase was five pounds overweight, I was in a quandary as to what to do. So, while the agent was glued to the computer, I took my bag off the scale put it on the floor and took out a handful of dirty laundry. Placing the suitcase back on the scale, the agent said I passed the weight test. While the agent was printing my boarding pass, I replaced the dirty laundry and gave the bag back to the agent and proceed to the gate.

My traveling companions were amazed at my ingenuity. As the plane took off for Nairobi, I prayed that the extra five-pound of dirty clothes would not cause a crash in the jungle. Over the years, I have learned to never leave home without a paper copy of every reservation be it airplane, hotel or car rental. Computers are not always reliable and sometimes they don’t tell the truth.

Travelers beware!



No comments:

Post a Comment