Monday, May 6, 2019

Happiness


Happiness

I believe happiness is an acquired taste. I have lived long enough to realize that happiness is not just something that happens. Like so many things in life, you have to work at being happy. I don’t mean walking around with a smile pasted on your face. Rather, it is a life quality that is often learned through hardship.

Growing up, I didn’t hear the word very much. I remember every once in a while, my mother giving me that look that spoke volumes. Her nonverbal communication was “whatever your problem is, put that smile back on your face” or if it was a bad day “take that smile off your face.” Back in those days when children were seen and not heard, appearances were everything.

Adult life with its accompanying responsibilities made it more challenging to find the path to happiness. Moments of marital bliss, having enough money to pay the bills, driving a car that doesn’t need repair, children doing well in school, staying healthy in mind and body; all opportunities to be happy.

Somewhere along life’s path I began to realize that happiness is not the absence of difficulties but a conscious choice that no matter what the circumstances, I could be happy. If I waited until all my ducks were lined up, happiness wasn’t going to happen. Problems weren’t the problem; I was the problem.

I found the following quote on Facebook of all places. It rattled my cage and provided one of those ah moments. I hope it does the same to you.

“Happiness is a choice, not a result. Nothing will make you happy until you choose to be happy. No person will make you happy unless you decide to be happy. Your happiness will not come to you. It can only come from you.”
Ralph Marston

Happy face!

1 comment: