Monday, April 13, 2020

Sabbatical


Sabbatical

Five weeks and counting! Who could have guessed? Judy and I are sheltered in place. Our lifestyle has not changed a whole lot. I miss the Sunday morning gatherings at Foothills Fellowship and the two days a week as a hospital chaplain. Grocery shopping is orchestrated by our children. Now that Ross’s, T. J. Maxx and Kohl’s are closed, Judy focuses on QVC and the Hallmark channel.

A sabbatical is a period of a paid leave given for study or travel; traditionally one year for every seven years of service. Wow!  It’s a designated time to step back from work and focus on personal and spiritual enrichment. The Bible is full of  exhortation for sabbath rest. A good idea seldom practiced

Is this the sabbatical I have always wanted? I have the time, the money and gas is cheap but like a wayward teenager I’m grounded. My daily walk with Daisy takes care of exercise. I have read five books. We watched all there is of the Masterpiece Series on Amazon Prime. The Sunday morning Zoom gathering with our fellowship rounds out my week.

Next month marks my fiftieth year of ministry. I can hardly wrap my mind around the fact that I have been a pastor that long. That’s half a century of caring, praying, and encouraging people in the Lord. I sense I am only beginning to understand what it all means. Only by God’s grace have I made it this far.

These weeks have been the sabbatical I always wanted. It is not what I asked for or imagined. However, the Lord graciously has provided a season of rest. Let these words of Jesus encourage you today:

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me; watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”


No comments:

Post a Comment