Monday, July 6, 2015

Tossing In The Towel


Tossing In The Towel
I was standing on the corner of 15th and Juniper Drive in Havre, Montana. I was chatting with a neighbor. I don’t remember much of the conversation but I do remember these words: “I’m tired of all this and I am ready to toss in the towel.” This wasn’t the first time I spoke those words. As a matter of fact, I had been saying it a lot. It was a difficult season in my life: my relationship with Judy was tense, the kids were getting out of hand and the church seemed to be sliding down hill. I had reasons to be discouraged.
But this time was different. I no sooner had those words out of my mouth; when I heard these words, “Say that one more time and you will be in a lot of trouble.” It wasn’t an audible voice but it was a very impacting thought that didn’t come from me. I stood there with my mouth open looking at my neighbor. She asked if there was something wrong. I said no but I had to go.
When I got home, I went in the bedroom and shut the door. I wanted to be alone and I figure out what just happened. That’s when this thought popped into my head. “You have no reason to be discouraged. I have given you a good wife and family. The church you pastor is not the problem; your attitude is. You need to quit tossing in the towel.”
After reading this, you may think I was a little off the bubble, hearing voices in my head. I confess I was a little off the bubble but not because I was hearing strange voices. My attitude was bad because I was feeling sorry for myself and started thinking God was dealing me a bad hand. I got caught in a pity party to which I was the only invited guest. I was beginning to believe my only option was to toss in the towel.
God has a way of getting my attention. As I started listening to what I was saying at home and in public, I was shocked to hear my own poor Dan song. When I started asking others about my negativity, I got all the confirmation I needed. It was time to change the way I was looking at life. It was time to think and speak of the goodness of the Lord.
Jesus says, “The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure bring forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment