Monday, July 20, 2015

Grandpa Tom


Grandpa Tom
By the time you read this, Tom will have gone home to be with the Lord after a long battle with health issues. Tom wasn’t really our grandpa, the real ones lived a long ways away. To our kids growing up he was as much a grandpa as the blood ones. In honor of Tom, my friend, I write this memory.
Tom was a man’s man. He loved to hunt geese and gophers, drink red beer, and take a chew once in awhile. He was a retail man who once worked for J.C. Penny’s and later was a partner in Cavalier’s Men and Boys store in Havre, Montana. He was the best darn salesman I ever knew and he loved people. He didn’t just want to sell you something; he wanted to get to know you.
Most of all Tom loved Jesus. Whenever he had a chance, he would share what the Lord had done for him. He wasn’t shy about it nor was he pushy. He wasn’t perfect but he was real. Like the rest of us guys, Tom had some flaws that kept him humble. He was one acquainted with sorrow as he buried two sons and one grandchild. In the midst of tragedy, he never lost his faith.
It was Tom who kept me in check. One time when I was really discouraged and ready to call it quits as a pastor, husband and father, I went over to his house. He was in the basement reloading shells. I stood in the doorway and let it all hang out. He looked at me, kept reloading and told me to sit down, have a beer and let’s talk about it. It was his willingness to listen and not judge that brought me around.
Over the years, I have been privileged to have a number of men friends. I am very thankful for the contributions each has deposited in my life. Without them I would not be where I am today. Tom stood at the head of the line. Not because he was so spiritual or so wise but because he was so human. Tom, you showed me how to walk as a man in the midst of tragedy and joy. You taught me how to shoot gophers and be a salesman. You encouraged me not to be afraid of life but to enjoy it.
Thank you my friend. Rest in Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment