Monday, August 24, 2015

Courage


Courage
Now here’s a word I don’t often hear today. Rarely are people described as courageous. Maybe it’s because we live in a world of 24-7 news shouting out the misdeeds of humankind. It could be that we are living in a dumbed down world, where we are perpetually warned not to take risks but to play it safe. Where have all the courageous people gone?
I looked up the word “courage” in the Webster’s Dictionary. Courage is the ability to do something that you know is difficult and dangerous. Courage is the strength to persevere, withstand danger, fear or difficulty! These are strong words for a culture that preaches correctness as the primary virtue. Interesting enough, the opposite of courage is cowardice: the fear that makes you unable to do what is right or expected.
Where does courage come from? Courage happens when, on a daily basis, I am willing to step out of my comfort zone and experience the successes and failures of life. Playing it safe only reinforces my fears and never allows me to step up and let the adrenaline flow. Living life to the full means risk taking not knowing if I will end in success or failure.
Hanging in our guest bathroom is a plaque someone gave us years ago. It is a quote from John Wayne: “Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.” I’m not sure of the context but I like what he says. Many time when in a difficult situation, I remembered those words and climb up in the saddle anyway!
The Bible is full of risk takers. Those men and women did a lot of seeming impossible things. They did it trusting not in their own ability but in their Father’s desire to see them succeed. They were willing to step out on the water knowing full well that unless God showed up they would drown.
“Haven’t I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don’t be timid; don’t get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take.”
So says the Father.




No comments:

Post a Comment