Monday, August 10, 2015

Riding My Bike


Riding My Bike
It’s been a long time since I was on a bike. In fact, the last time I rode a bike any distance was when I was in high school. Back then I had a Schwinn one speed with wide handlebars, no fenders and only a pedal brake. Compared to today’s bikes it was a poor excuse for two wheeled transportation. That bike took me everywhere I wanted to go.
Last spring I suggested to Judy that we look around for some new bikes that we could ride around the neighborhood. Thinking of spending a few hundred dollars for two old peoples’ bikes, I quickly discovered that the bike world had changed. I was told that I would be lucky to find a bike for under $500. That was real sticker shock.
After some serious searching, we found two Giant Sedona DX Hybrid bikes. They are built for casual riders who like a comfy ride with 24 speeds. Wow! These are a big upgrade from my old Schwinn. With a few add-ons like fenders, a digital speedometer, and a bell that sounds like the ice cream truck, I now pedal all over the neighborhood in style. I am getting in shape for a 13-mile ride coming up this fall.
Recently, I found a quote on Facebook. It describes how I feel on my bike: “When I ride my bike, I feel free and happy and strong; liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent my bike is my house, my fighter jet, my island, and my friend. Together we shall conquer that hill and thereafter the world.”
I just have to remember that I am 71 and not 16. I have to force myself to slow down and pay attention to what I am doing. Bikes don’t come with seat belts only helmets if you chose to wear them. Happy is the man who can return to the days of his youth and ride a bike!


No comments:

Post a Comment