Monday, September 28, 2015

Choices


Choices
When I get to heaven, the first question I am going to ask God is: “What did you have in mind when you created me with the ability to choose?” I know that there is a long list of questions to ask him but this one really bugs me. I am aware of the philosophical and theological answers but I want to hear it from him!
I have made my share of bad choices that led to painful consequences. Long before I was conscious of the connection between choice and consequence, I thought that it didn’t matter what I chose as long as it felt good and didn’t get me in trouble. It was confusing to me that people made choices that didn’t seem to make sense. How come people make such dumb choices?
Now that I am the parent of adult children, I have the luxury of looking back on the choices I made in raising my kids. Although there are some things I would change if I could, I do remember repeating this mantra, “In order to learn how to make good choices, you are going to have to make some bad ones and walk out the consequences.” I can still see my kids looking at me like I had two heads.
We live in a culture that majors in personal freedom and largely ignores consequences. Personal responsibility seems to be a thing of the past. When I read the newspaper or listen to the new on TV, I am continually bombarded with the blame game for the consequences of bad choices. Social pressure and correctness are leading us down the path to self-destruction. Who is going to stand up and say that when you make bad choices you are going to reap bad consequences?
The Bible is full of people who, in spite of knowing better, chose to walk away from God and live their dream. Adam and Eve were the first ones and it has been down hill since then. You would think that the sheer pain of consequences would wake us up to the reality that better choices make for a better life. The Lord says, “I place before you Life and Death, Blessing and Curse. Choose life so that you and your children will live.”
Now that’s a good choice.




No comments:

Post a Comment