Monday, September 14, 2015

Plastic Jesus


Plastic Jesus
Back in the day when cars were made of metal not plastic, the dashboard was a place where you could attach things with a magnet. You could put a metallic ashtray, clipboard or a bobble head up there and it would stay put. No more. Now we have Velcro, sticky notes and suction cup appendages. Technology does not always make life easier.
Years ago, I was traveling from Ashton, Idaho to Bozeman, Montana. My friend and I had just left a Sunday morning church service. It was mid January and a blizzard had blown in while we were praising the Lord. Driving across Henry Flats on the way home in winter is always a risky proposition. My four cylinder Vega hatchback was having a tough time plowing through snowdrifts to say nothing about the poor visibility. In a moment of desperation I jokingly yelled to my friend, “Reach into the glove box and grab my plastic Jesus. I think we are going to need him.”
I remember Paul Newman singing “Plastic Jesus” in the movie Cool Hand Luke. Here is the refrain: “Well, I don’t care if it rains or freezes, long as I have my plastic Jesus riding on the dashboard of my car. Through all trials and tribulations, we will travel every nation, with my plastic Jesus I’ll go far.”
I don’t have a plastic Jesus in my truck. It’s interesting that people put their trust in a statue, a religious medal or a good luck charm that has no power to help or save them. Idols have no power but Jesus does. He is the real deal.
Here is what the Bible says about Jesus: “Now that we know what we have, Jesus, the great High Priest with ready access to God. Let’s not let this slip through our fingers. We don’t have a priest who is out of touch with reality. He’s been through weakness and testing, experienced it all but sin. So let’s walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take mercy, expect help.”
Now that’s the Jesus I can put my trust in.


No comments:

Post a Comment