Monday, October 12, 2015

Cruise Control


Cruise Control
It was an early spring morning as Judy and I drove through the Columbia River Gorge on Interstate 84 heading back to Bozeman. We had left Portland about 4 am after spending a week visiting our oldest son and his family. Judy and our dog Sparky were fast asleep. I was trying to stay awake myself. I had the radio on, my window open and cruise control set at 65. When I woke up all I could see was metal!
I could not have dozed off for more than few seconds. Startled by the fact that I was about to rear end a semi, I jerked the steering wheel to the right slamming on the brakes. I heard the crunching of metal, the squealing of tires and the pounding of my heart all at once. By the time I stopped on the side of the road, I knew I was in real trouble.
As the semi kept on going, I got out of the car to look at the damage. The hood was bent like a tepee. The front left headlight was gone and the front bumper was sagging toward the ground. Judy was screaming, the dog was barking. I though I was having a heart attack.
Amazingly, the motor kept running with no clanking or fluid running out from the engine. I drove to the next exit, ran into the convenient store to get a cup of coffee to calm my nerves. Believe it or not we drove the remaining 650 miles home without incident and wide-awake.
I share this story as a reminder that whenever I am tempted to put my life on cruise control I am probably heading for disaster. Procrastination is a tough taskmaster. I am learning the discipline of dealing with life issues up front not putting them off. Tomorrow can be a long way away.
The Bible says: “A nap here, a nap there, a day off here, a day off there, sit back, take it easy; do you know what comes next? Just this: You can look forward to a dirt poor life, poverty your permanent houseguest.”
By the way, I now use my cruise control sparingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment