Monday, March 27, 2017

Preacher's Wife


Preacher’s Wife

When Judy and I met, she was working at a children's shop and I was working at a pipe and tobacco store in the same shopping mall. During our courtship the possibility of my returning to ministry never came up. In fact, at that time, I was purposely ignoring anything that had to do with God. Not knowing what the future held for us, I was sure it wasn't pastoring. Well, I’ve been wrong before.

Two years later, through a series of unforeseen circumstances, I was contemplating returning to pastoral ministry. When I told Judy, she made it clear that she didn't sign on to be a pastor’s wife. In the church where she grew up, the pastor's wife wore black, never smiled and played the piano. That was not the lifestyle of a reformed flower child of the Sixties.

The truth is Judy had all the qualifications to be a fun loving, nurturing and caring mother and pastor’s wife. Although she would often say that she didn't feel qualified to be the stereotype of a minister’s spouse, everybody who knows her said the opposite. If fact, once I was told that she is the better half of the pastoral team and without her I wouldn't amount to much. I can't disagree.

It hasn't been easy. Raising four children on a pastor’s salary is no simple task. Having to adjust family life to a pastor's schedule is a challenge. Just listening to him can be a pain. I remember one Sunday morning in church after a rather stressful marriage dispute the day before. Judy and the kids were in the front row. I was preaching up a storm. Judy stood up and said in a loud voice; “I can't stand to listen to this man anymore.” She grabbed the kids and walked out of the building. Well, that was the end of that sermon.

The Book of Proverbs says, “A good woman is hard to find and worth far more than diamonds. Her husband trusts her without reserve and never has reason to regret it.” Judy, you are that woman! I am a blessed man.

No comments:

Post a Comment