Monday, December 31, 2018

Falling


Falling

I think it is something I inherited from my father. Although he was spry for his age, he had the propensity to fall. Not sure if it was something that descended through the Semsch genetic chain or if he came by it on his own. Either way, I attribute my stumbling to him. Hard as I try to walk a straight line, minding where I place my feet, falling comes naturally to me.

This physical characteristic is not helpful as I age. What once I considered a physical quirk has now become a serious liability to my health. Stumbling over an uneven sidewalk or miss stepping off a curb only adds to my uneasiness.

This past January as I was leaving a local Urgent Care, I was not minding my step. I had gone there to get medical help for my persistent cough that later turned into pneumonia and several trips to the hospital. As I exited the building I slid on a sheet of black ice, spread eagled on the sidewalk somehow avoiding hitting my head. As I lay there catching my breath and checking out body parts for injury, I couldn’t believe what just happened. Luckily the receptionist saw me lying there and helped me back into the clinic. After a thorough exam and found intact, I was assisted to my truck.

Last week on Christmas Eve day I took Daisy (our dog) on a walk through the neighborhood.  Crossing the street to avoid icy sidewalks, I hit a patch of black ice and did a backward spread eagle in the street. With my breath knocked out of me and Daisy licking my face, I prayed that I had not broken anything. Slowly getting up, I could feel the pain of stretched tendons and a sore neck. Limping the half mile home, I went immediately for hot pads and Tylenol. Very happy to report no broken bones.

 In order to survive the winter, I am now wearing strap on cleats and a walking stick to navigate whatever weather conditions are before me. I am reminded of the words from the Old Testament book of Proverbs: “Let your eyes look directly ahead and let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you. Watch the path of your feet and your ways will be established.”

Amen to that!



No comments:

Post a Comment