Monday, March 4, 2019

Chinny Chin Chin


Chinney Chin Chin

Remember the children’s story of the three little pigs who were hounded by the big bad wolf. Each little pig built a house: one of straw, another of sticks and the third of bricks. The wolf said to each “little pig, little pig let me come in.” Each pig responds “No, not by the hair of my chinney chin chin.” Then the wolf said, “I’ll huff, and I’ll puff, and I’ll blow your house in.” He blew down the straw and stick house, ate two pigs but not one who built with brick.

Not long ago I met a lady who was recovering from a rather serious surgery. Her healing was progressing rapidly. When I asked how she was doing she responded that the surgery went well but she felt like a failure. I asked why and she said she didn’t trust God enough. Her friends and family were praying for her, but she was fearful and doubting God for her healing.

 I knew exacting what she was talking about. When I feel out of control, my only hope is for the Lord to take charge and walk me safely through it. I don’t like   handing the scalpel, the steering wheel, or the decision to another. Yielding is foreign territory for a control freak. The Bible says that it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

I suggested to the guilt-ridden lady that we turn the focus from failure to thanksgiving. I asked if I could pray with her and in doing so, I could actually see her countenance change. In my experience giving thanks to the Lord is the remedy for everything that ails me: fear, unbelief, guilt, shame and failure. Try it, you will like it.

The big bad wolf is always wanting to steal our joy and confidence in God. Listen to what Jesus says: “These words I speak to you are not incidental additions to life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are like the smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit but nothing moved the house. It was fixed to the rock. But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don’t work them in your life, you are a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. When the storm rolled in and the waves came up, it collapsed like a house of cards.”

So much for the big, bad wolf!

No comments:

Post a Comment