Monday, March 11, 2019

Questions


Questions

I was raised in a culture where children were to be seen not heard. My natural inquisitiveness was often met with an adult scowl or worse. My impetuousness was not appreciated in adult company. Were it not for my grandmother who had a soft heart for meeting my need to ask questions, my early years would have been painful.

My school years were not much different. Education by nuns did not foster an inquisitive mind. Strict obedience and silence were keys to survival. Not that I was very good at it, but it did frustrate my desire to inquire. My seminary education about the same. A classical scholastic education focused more on memorization than questions. It seemed that life was dictated by the adage “ours is not to reason why; ours is but to do and die.”

Living in the real world forced me not only to ask questions but pursue honest answers. I am fascinated where one simple question will lead. When I began to question my church and schooling, I had no idea where to find answers. Little by little I discovered a whole new world. It all began by asking questions and seeking answers.

I didn’t know that it was the Lord who was encouraging me to step out of my comfort zone and start asking adult questions about life. Uncomfortable as it was, the answers were leading in a direction I would never have guessed. Gradually my world grew larger and my questions more specific. The who, what, when, where and how brought focus and meaning to my life. It all began with the willingness to ask questions.

It is this Bible verse from the Book of Proverbs that encourages me to keep asking those life-giving questions. “Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try and figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track. Don’t assume you know it all.”

Got any good questions today? Ask the Lord!



No comments:

Post a Comment