Monday, April 15, 2019

Twaddle


Twaddle

For some time, I have been searching for a word that adequately describes much of what I read in social media and hear on TV. It’s not that I am a prude or intellectual snob. It’s that my ears are tired of hearing opinions of talking heads who feel they have more to say than anyone else.

This disease extends wider than politics. Our culture has encouraged a sense of expertise that is invading every aspect of our lives. No longer is it necessary to be educated in a specialized field when all I have to do is Google search and I am an expert.

I found the word twaddle while preparing a sermon on the resurrection of Jesus. When the women told the disciples that the tomb was empty, they said that this was nonsense and did not believe them. When I traced the Greek word and it’s equivalent, I found twaddle. Simply defined, the word means silly or idle talk; language, behavior or ideas that are absurd and contrary to good sense.

These mighty men of God interpreted the eye witness of the women as baloney, blarney, claptrap, hogwash, malarkey and poppycock. Simply said how could a few women who went to the tomb to anoint the body of Jesus come back to report such a wild tale as the dead coming back to life. The disciples were about to embark on a rather large learning curve.

It’s getting more difficult to discern truth. Lies are perceived as truth and truth as lies. Simply said, there is a lot of twaddle going on. I am reminded of these words of Jesus: “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth and the truth will make you free.”

Good news and that’s no twaddle!




No comments:

Post a Comment