Monday, June 3, 2019

Fools


Fools

My favorite book of the Bible is Proverbs. I read one chapter each morning. Since there are thirty-one chapters, I read the whole book each month. I read the rest of the Bible on a regular basis, but Proverbs is the one I hang around most. Why? Because it speaks to the practical issues of everyday life.

The theme of Proverbs is the skill of down to earth living. The prayer Jesus taught his disciples included the phrase “on earth as in heaven.” Early on in my walk with the Lord I realized that I wasn’t a disembodied spirit but flesh and blood who needed lots of counsel on how to live. That’s what Proverbs does.

Proverbs distinguishes between a wise person and a fool. Simply said a wise person follows after God and a fool walks away from God. The dictionary definition of a fool is one who lacks good sense or judgement. The Bible defines a fool as one who is stupid, has no common sense or is just plain silly. Not the kind of role model that lends itself to maturity.

Here are several verses from Proverbs that describes a fool:

Start with God, the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning.
Fools are headstrong and do what they like; wise people take advise.
Become wise by walking with the wise; hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces.
Knowledge flows like spring water from the wise; fools are leaky faucets, dripping nonsense.
The perceptive find wisdom in their own front yard; fools look for it everywhere but right here.

AND MY FAVORITE: As a dog eats its own vomit, so fools recycle silliness.

I have been called a lot of things but never a fool. I think that has to do with a daily dose of Proverbs. Try it, you’ll like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment