Monday, June 17, 2019

Modesty


Modesty

Once in a while people respond to my blog. Their words are encouragement keeping me at the weekly task of writing. Recently I received several responses that mentioned that I was not politically correct. I had to chuckle because usually that is the focus of my blog. If I write what can easily be found on social media, what’s the point?

That started me thinking. From the perspective of age and experience as a pastor, there is not much I do that is culturally correct. I preach the gospel, visit the sick, counsel, marry and bury. That kind of interaction affords me a down to earth, no pie in the sky, view of life. Life you don’t run into in correct places.

Here’s a word to think about: modesty. Not the word that addresses the lack of clothing although that is one application. The modesty I am talking about is  “having a moderate or humble estimate of one’s own importance; free of boastfulness or great pretensions.” The word comes from Latin meaning       
“ keeping due measure of oneself.”

These days there doesn’t seem to be much encouragement for people to take stock of themselves. The unrelenting mantra that my rights are what is important whether you are talking about sexual preference, reproductive issues or social-economic status. My goodness, trying to take stock of oneself is like waiting for summer to come in Montana!

A suggestion to help refocus on what is important in life. Take a sanity break and ponder these words from a man who lived an unpretentious life. “Don’t cherish exaggerated ideas of yourself or your importance but try to have a sane estimate of your capabilities by the light of the faith that God has given to you all.”

Hope this helps you stay on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment