Monday, September 2, 2019

Leaks


Leaks

In preparation for the coming winter, I had the furnace man make a service call to make sure everything was in working order. The furnace is located in the crawl space hanging from the floor joist. The service man no sooner descended into the crawl space when he reappeared to tell me that there was a leak in the water line.

Not the kind of news I like to hear. There was a hairline crack in the one inch water pipe. It was spraying upward onto the floor joist below my study. How long that had been leaking no one knew. The service man replaced the pipe and a major disaster averted. The furnace checked out fine. With the addition of a new thermostat, I accrued a $500 bill.

Several days ago, I noticed a small oily leak on the garage floor. I quickly made my way to the auto repair shop where I was assured that the repair was minor and could be easily fixed. As I sat in the waiting room reading my Kindle, I heard a loud bang. Not thinking anything of it since mechanic work can be noisy. Shorty  the manager came out and told me he had some good news and some bad news.

The good news was my leak was fixed. The bad news was my truck has shifted on the hydronic lift and rested on the running boards bending and twisting them. Apologetic, the manager told me he would make the situation right and have all the damage repaired by a local body shop. My beautiful truck had taken a hit.

Recovering from the shock of seeing the damage I asked the mechanic if he was ok. A little shaken, he assured me he was and apologized profusely for what happened. I assured him that running boards can be replaced but human life could not. The cost of replacing the running boards and undercarriage damage is estimated to be around $3000. They wouldn’t let me pay for the leak repair.

 I don’t like leaks!




No comments:

Post a Comment