Monday, September 30, 2019

Snow


Snow

By the time you read this blog, we will have had our first snow of the season. It is less than a week from the first day of autumn. The weather prognosticators have warned us of a major winter storm. In Bozeman not so much. The northern part of the state will get the brunt of it. The mountains of Glacier National Park a lot more. Maybe we’ll get some of those melting glaciers back.

The Old Farmer’s Almanac predicts a harsh winter. That means lots of snow and cold. Just like the old days before global warming when we had four seasons; mostly winter and road construction. With the minute by minute weather casting it’s hard to take it all in. You could just look out the window to see the weather. Now I have half a dozen apps on my smartphone to keep me abreast of the whims of nature.

I wonder how all the new arrivals to Montana are faring with the change in weather. The warm, breezy days of summer are fading like the evening sunset while winter is sending a chilling reminder that nature doesn’t always follow the calendar. Time to put away the toys of summer. Here winter can be long and the days short.

Digging around the garage, I found my shovels and ice scraper. This winter I have the blessing of a snowblower; a gift from my son who moved his family to the warmer land of Portlandia. Thanks, Nick, for the gift. I will use it a lot.

My expectation mounts. I am ready to turn up the thermostat and get the fireplace going. Winter boots, parka, mitts and wool cap are near at hand. I can hardly wait to put my truck in four wheel drive, plowing through the drifts looking to help some poor Californian who got his eco-car stuck. A great opportunity to play Good Samaritan.

Thank you, Lord, for the seasons, especially winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment