Monday, October 7, 2019

Hunting


Hunting

It started when my dad took me on a hunting trip with his buddies. I was about eight and had never shot a gun. It is one of my favorite memories. The smell of gun oil, burnt powder, wet boots are still in my olfactory file all these years later. The itch to hunt only increased with time.

I have hunted ducks, pheasants, grouse, white tail and mule deer, antelope, elk, bear and a stray moose. I love to hunt. As soon as the leaves start turning in fall, I begin to prepare for hunting season. Getting the tags, checking out the equipment in my backpack, weather proofing my boots and cleaning my rifle are all part of the ritual.

Many of my hunting memories are of the times I took my boys to the Missouri Breaks of north central Montana hunting deer and an occasional coyote. The ride across the prairie in the War Wagon and the long drive home in the dark with a truck bed full of horns and hoofs. Dirtied and smeared with game blood, we shared stories of the hunt.

Now it’s time to retire from big game hunting. I have struggled with this decision for several years. It’s not that I am too old or to physically weak. It’s not that I no longer enjoy the company of my friend as we wait for that elusive buck to appear.
I just time to quit. So, I am not going to buy a license this fall.

Life will go on with other experiences. I have lots and lots of memories of past hunts and trophies. I hope to be able to hand over my hunting gear and rifle to my grandkids if they express an interest. What a great opportunity I have had to experience what man has done down through the ages. Hunting game is one of the most enjoyable experiences of life.

I didn’t say I was giving up gopher hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment