Monday, February 3, 2020

C.I.S.M.


C.I.S.M.

This spring will mark two years that I have served as a chaplain at our local hospital. What started out as an opportunity to volunteer in the community has become a second vocation. I enjoy the two half days I work as a chaplain. In addition to visiting patients, I attend regular rounds ( morning meeting of doctors, nurses and various departments). I am on call for emergencies when needed or teach a Bible study at the hospital’s Assisted Living facility.

In addition, I have opportunity for continuing education. Recently I attended a two day advanced C.I.S.M: Critical Incident Stress Management seminar. Its purpose was to train first responders (police, highway patrol, dispatchers, emergency medical technicians and firemen) how to help their peers after experiencing traumatic situations.

I found myself sitting in a classroom rubbing elbows with men and women who are daily on the front line of serving our communities in very difficult situations. These are the people whom our lives depend upon when there is an accident or trauma. I kept asking myself “how did I ever get into this group?” After introducing myself as a chaplain and local pastor, I was embraced as part of the team.

Listening to these women and men who daily put themselves in harm’s way, I was humbled. Being the oldest one in the room, I realized that these people, most of them half my age, are the real unsung heroes of our community. Hearing various ones voice their passion for the work they do made me realize how fortunate we are to have quality people serving us.

Yes, I learned a lot of stuff that I probably will never use. I noticed that I have an increased shortage of information retention. However, the most important thing was I had opportunity to meet and befriend people who have a passion to serve others in the most difficult of circumstances.

I am reminded of these words of Jesus: “there is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”




No comments:

Post a Comment