Monday, February 24, 2020

Ninety-Nine Cents


Ninety-Nine Cents

It started out simple enough. I switched credit card accounts. For years I had a Delta American Express card which accrued flight miles with purchases. There was an annual fee that I paid in the years that I did a lot of traveling. Recently the increased fee wasn’t worth it, so I transferred everything to my Visa card. It all went well except for a ninety-nine cent charge to Apple iTunes that kept appearing on the old card.

Knowing it would be a hassle to contact Apple and work through the quagmire to delete the charge, I was tempted to call AmEx and let them take care of it. But I chose the more challenging option that began with an online chat with Apple, then two phone conversations on my new iPhone 11 with live Apple reps that totaled three hours to resolve the issue. It was a blessing they spoke California English.

Obviously, the problem was of my own making. I forgot that I had set up an iCloud account on Judy’s iPhone. It was here, through the gracious patience of the Apple rep that I found the ninety-nine cent culprit. After jumping through several security checks on my iMac screen with the prompting of the kind lady from Apple I made the credit card change.

My takeaway from this time consuming exercise was that I need to write down every password, security question, and monthly credit card charges because my aging brain does not have enough bytes to remember it all. As you can surmise, I am deep into Apple land. Not sure how I got here but if it weren’t for my Apple Watch I wouldn’t know the time of day.

As I come to the end of writing this blog on my iPad Mini, I am remembering Job of the Old Testament, who in his misery cried out: “the Lord gives, and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord.” It took Apple to take away my ninety-nine cent charge on American Express.

Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment