Monday, March 9, 2020

Springtime


Springtime

I know I am crazy. It’s only the first week of March and I have spring fever. As I write the temp is +66, the sun is shining, the gophers are out, and someone said the robins are back in town. Forget about snowdrifts piled high in parking lots. Forget that March is the snowiest month of the year in Bozeman. The fact is that spring is coming!

I talked Judy into getting the lawn furniture out of storage in preparation for the patio season which is still two months away. I rewarded her efforts with a burger and a beer at a brew pub near us. We sat on the patio in a sliver of sunshine with soft Salsa music in the background pretending we were at the ocean in Cancun (Montana Mexico). You develop a vivid imagination during long winters here.

February set an all-time snow record in Bozeman. In addition to snow came ice on the highways and sidewalks. Even though I live in a HOA, I ended up shoveling the white stuff. The outside Christmas lights are put away. The Christmas wreath thrown in the garbage can. A winter’s worth of dog dodo is appearing in the backyard along with a garden of mud.

Then I started humming an oldie but goodie cowboy song. I had to check Google to get the lyrics and hear Gene Autry sing it again. Now I am in the springtime mood here in the Rockies.

“When it’s springtime in the Rockies I’m coming back to you little sweetheart of the mountains with your bonnie eyes of blue. Once again, I’ll say I love you while the birds sing all the day when it’s springtime in the Rockies, in the Rockies far away. I fancy it is springtime in the Rockies. The flowers with their colors are aflame. And though I long to be back in the Rockies I’ll wait till the springtime comes again.”

The forecast for the coming week is snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment