Monday, March 23, 2020

Trust


Trust

Now there’s a difficult word. Being sort of a control freak and overly responsible, this word tends to send me into a tailspin. Not being able to overcome situations that are out of my control gnaw away at me until exhaustion hits. My problem is that there are issues, at least for the moment, that are not resolvable.

By definition trust mean an instinctive unquestioning belief and reliance upon something or someone. All my instincts especially in times of trial command me to dig deeper into myself and try harder to resolve the problem. Having spent my adult life fighting through conflict after conflict, I have come to the conclusion that there must be a better way.

Now that I am older and lack the physical and emotional stamina to engage in prolonged stress, I am re-evaluating my problem solving strategy. Looking hindsight, I see that most of my “huffing and puffing” only added to my consternation. I am realizing that life is not a series of problems to be solved (by me) but a mystery to be lived and enjoyed.

Many years ago, when our adult children were school age, we taught them to memorize Scripture verses. There was one verse in particular that became our favorite. It comes to mind as I draw to a close. From the book of Proverbs:

 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make straight your paths.”

Now Dan, remember to practice what you preach.




No comments:

Post a Comment