Monday, March 22, 2021

Mentors

 

Mentors

 

By definition a mentor is a trusted guide and counselor. This is a person who has earned the right to speak into my life. Mentors are women and men who come with a variety of backgrounds and walk alongside sharing experiences, equipping life  tools and imparting practical wisdom. From personal experience, they are worth their weight in gold.

 

This past week I received news that one of my former mentors went home to be with the Lord. This man had a major influence on my life personally and as a pastor. Giving freely of his time and energy, he encouraged and equipped me for what lay ahead. Although there was a season of misunderstanding and disagreement, we were, by the grace of God, to forgive one another giving thanks for the season that we had together.

 

Mentoring is not an easy job. It takes a great deal of trust to allow another to bring correction into your life. I am no exception to the fact that there is more enjoyment to the positive someone has to say about you. Yet, life lessons are rarely learned by flattery. Embracing correction from one who has your best interest at heart is essential to maturing.

 

The goal of mentoring is not to make a carbon copy of yourself. Rather, it is the experience of walking alongside another encouraging and equipping by word and example. This allows both people to learn and experience all that God has to offer each person. In reality, mentoring is a relationship that welcomes mutual respect and willingness to share life.

 

I am thankful for the mentors God has placed in my life. Each came with unique gifts to share. I can honestly say that had I not taken the opportunity to walk with them, I would be living a less enriched life.

 

Thank you, Lord, for guiding my steps.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment