Monday, March 15, 2021

Waiting

 

Waiting

 

In Montana when you start thinking of spring in mid January you are in for  disappointment. Winter has a mind of its own and does not yield to the wishes and whims of mere humans. Although spring officially starts in less than a week, that is no promise that winter in over. Springtime in the Rockies is not a date on the calendar but a slow progression of melting snow and increasing sunlight.

 

I heard mention that robins are returning. I wonder how their migration places them in such a hostile environment so early. Hearing their chirping early in the morning is a clarion call that spring is coming sometime. My grandmother used to say, “the early bird gets the worm.” Not sure these freezing birds have a chance.

 

I find waiting hard. I know that inevitably the season will change. I remember how wonderful it feels to step outdoors seeing the freshness of trees, grass and flowers coming out of hibernation. No parka, scarf, gloves or boots to do it. Driving around town the other day, I saw someone in shorts and flip flops shoveling the sidewalk. I am not the only one with cabin fever.

 

Yes, waiting is hard. Another adage from grandma: “a watched pot never boils.” Whether I am waiting for the the change of seasons or changes in life, I am reminded of the words from the Old Testament prophet Isaiah:

 

“Those who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.”

 

Still waiting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment