Monday, January 12, 2015

Requiem For A Lawnmower


Requiem For A Lawnmower
I confess that I get attached to my machines. It must be something in the male genes. I take good care of them, making sure they are in top running condition. Each machine has its own personality and quirks. I marvel at how they are made.
It is with this in mind that I share the sad story of my Craftsman self-propelled lawnmower. I eyed this beauty at the Sears store. It was a wonder to behold: forest green with black wheels. I knew this was the machine that could manicure my lawn with precision. 
The backstory is that I was in a season of discontent. I was unemployed having resigned my pastoral role at a large church. Because the parting was not sweet, I was in turmoil. Much of my time was in rewind of what went wrong and how I was wronged. In short, I was having a huge pity party to which only I was invited.
With my new lawnmower in hand, I attacked the backyard. My mind preoccupied with issues of revenge. I was not paying attention to what I was doing. All of a sudden I heard this bang! A loud shudder from the lawnmower and a dead stop: my new mower had died. I knelt down looking for the problem and discovered that the mower had run over an above ground tree root and bent the drive shaft. After repeated pulling on the starting cord, I realized my beautiful mower was dead.
 I knelt there in the grass sobbing. I couldn’t believe it. My new mower destroyed. I hurriedly picked it up, put it in the trunk of my car and drove to the Sears store hoping that they could repair it. At the store, they said it would be cheaper to buy a new one. A new one: I was in mourning for my broken one? I went back out to the car and sat there crying like a baby for my dead mower.
I know this sounds crazy. However, when you are at the end of your rope nothing is crazy. God’s word says: “If you fall to pieces in a crisis, there wasn’t much to you in the first place.”


No comments:

Post a Comment