Monday, January 26, 2015

The Poem


The Poem
I confess that I didn’t pay attention in twelfth grade English class. Reading Shakespeare and poetry did not grab my attention. I was focused on graduating, not realizing that this subject was essential to a well rounded life. Isn’t it interesting that we are taught these treasures at a time when many of us could care less.
For years I have tried to get interested in poetry. I have purchased poetry books promising myself to read them. I subscribed to poetry apps online with the intent to better myself. I keep an open ear to others who love poetry trying to discover their secret. Unfortunately, my poetry tastes have not matured much.
I say this as a preface to a poem that did grab my heart. When our daughter was in grade school, her teacher held a poetry contest; each student was asked to create a poem of their own making. The winning poem would then be published in the school paper. Of course, her mother and I knew nothing of this assignment. Quite by accident Judy found the winning poem in her school bag.
Here is my favorite poem:
                                  “I Love You”
               Huggable you. Loveable you. Kissable you.
               Trustable you. Any kind of you. I love you.
               A you in the kitchen. A you in the car.
               A you in the street. A you on a star.
               Loving you. Friendly you. Soft you.
               Quiet you. I LOVE YOU.
                                                              Katie Semsch
Wow!























            

No comments:

Post a Comment