Monday, January 19, 2015

The Miracle Fan


The Miracle Fan
It was a very hot summer. We were living next to the church with four small children in the parsonage, a two-story house with no air conditioning. Every day was in the high 90’s with matching humidity.  We had moved from Montana where the summers were temperate. We were not prepared for sweating out a long, hot summer.
We had never lived in the inner city. Judy and I were raised in the suburbs with plenty of lakes, beaches and shade. At the parsonage, we were surrounded with concrete and asphalt. With all the windows open, there was hardly a breeze but lots of noise. As if there was not enough noise with the kids running around.
We did not have the money to even buy another fan. The church budget didn’t allow for such luxuries either. Judy said we should start praying for a ceiling fan. Being the mighty man of God that I am, I thought she was a little over the top bringing God into the situation. Before I knew it she had the kids praying for a fan. What was I to do?
Several weeks passed when one hot, humid evening, our doorbell rang. When I opened the door, there stood a man and woman. I recognized them as neighbors living down the street. They said that they had been praying and felt God told them we needed a fan. In obedience, they came to give us enough money to buy a ceiling fan. I was in shock. Judy and the kids were ecstatic. God answered their prayer!
Several years later, when me moved back to Montana we took the miracle fan with us. We installed it in our living room as a witness to the Lord’s provision. Every time I turned that fan on I remembered God majors in the small things of our lives. When we sold the house, we gave the miracle fan to the new owners as a gift. I believe it is still there cooling and blessing.
I am reminded what God’s Word says: “That’s why I urge you to pray for absolutely everything, ranging from small to large. Include everything as you embrace this God life, and you’ll get God’s everything.”




No comments:

Post a Comment