Monday, June 27, 2016

Attitude


Attitude

I remember my dad having a sign hanging somewhere in our house that said: “I love mankind, it's people I hate.” I realize that is a caustic statement but it struck me as an attitude that embraced humanity as a whole but when it came down to individual people it was a whole different attitude. I have lived long enough to see that there is a difference between embracing a principle and applying it in a practical situation.

The Webster dictionary defines attitude as “ the way I think and feel about someone or something that affects my behavior.” Thinking and feeling are very subjective for they function from within. Nobody knows what another person thinks or feels unless that person expresses his or her thoughts or feelings. Humans are created in such a way that we can express something in words or actions and yet have a whole different attitude on the inside.

For over forty-five years I have stood at the church door greeting people on Sunday morning. I am certainly not a mind reader but I am somewhat of an expert on people’s attitude as I welcome them to our worship service. I can discern from body language and responses to my greeting who fought with their spouse of the way to church and who argued with their kids to hurry up and get ready. The ability to maintain a balance between the external and internal attitude is a sign of maturity.

I like what the Bible says: “If you've gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don't push your way to the front; don't sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside and help others get ahead. Don't be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand.”

Now that is an attitude!





No comments:

Post a Comment