Monday, June 13, 2016

Dealey Plaza


Dealey Plaza
I had never heard of Dealey Plaza until November 22, 1963. On that day I was in class at the seminary when the announcement was made that President Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Texas. The rest of that day was spent in front of the black and white TV. Every adult person in America who witnessed this event knew where he or she was that day.
One item on my bucket list was one day to visit this historical site. Although I had been to Dallas once before I never had the opportunity see Dealey Plaza. Recently, on a business trip there, my travelling partner and I drove into central Dallas to see first hand what I had watched on TV almost fifty-three years before.
My first impression as we drove up to Dealey Plaza was how small an area it was. The convergence of Main Street, Elm Street and Commerce Street frames this national historical site. As we walked up to the Plaza, I saw the two X’s on the street marking the places where the bullets hit the President. Turning around we saw the famous “Grassy Knoll” that has played such an important role in the conspiracy theories.
The self-guided tour of the sixth floor museum of the Texas School Book Depository gave an informative perspective of the events that day. I looked out a window onto the Plaza, the same view the assassin had. It was eerie to stand in the same place where shots were fired that killed a President and changed the course of history.
Since that day in November, there have been other assassination attempts. After 9/11, we have been jarred into the reality that life is fragile and unpredictable. Let the words from Psalms 23 help us keep perspective:
“Even in the unending shadows of death’s darkness, I am not overcome by fear. Because You are with me in those dark moments, near with Your protection and guidance, I am comforted.”

No comments:

Post a Comment