Monday, June 6, 2016

Unforced Rhythms


Unforced Rhythms
I have done a lot of traveling this spring. My work with our network of churches and family obligations have taken me from Colorado to North Dakota to Mexico to Florida to Oregon to Texas and Minnesota and Ohio. I like to travel. I enjoy going places and meeting people but as I am getting a little older the recovery time from each trip takes a little longer.
I am coming to notice that each stage of life not only has its unique challenges but also a rhythm that sets the pace. Years earlier, when we had children at home, everything was in a hurry. There wasn’t much time for anything else but making sure they were feed, clothed and the homework done. As the kids started leaving home, the rhythm changed and so did Judy and I.
The dictionary defines rhythm as “a regular, repeated pattern of events, changes and activities.” Not only does each day have a certain rhythm but so does life.  I easily get so caught up in the tyranny of urgent demands that I lose touch with the flow of living. As life wears on, I need a continual reminder that my days are numbered and I ought not waste them. I struggle to keep in perspective the difference between the good and the precious. There are a lot of good opportunities out there but only a few precious ones.
I keep going back to this passage in the Bible. It encourages me to stay on track with what is important in life. Jesus says:
“ Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me; watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment