Monday, January 2, 2017

Monastery


Monastery

No I haven't forsaken all and run off to a monastery. I confess there are times when that quiet, secluded life has an appeal. Actually I did find myself in a monastery one summer. It was a long time ago and as you may guess there is a story attached.

When I entered the seminary, there was some question as to my academic ability. Since I fell far short of being an honor student and graduated near the bottom of my high school class, the administration mandated that I attend summer school to beef up on the Latin language and religious discipline. In those days, Latin was the language of the church and therefore my need to be proficient.

On a warm June day, while the rest of the academic world was enjoying summer vacation, I entered the Benedictine Monastery at Benet Lake, Wisconsin. Along with a dozen seminary students I attended an accelerated language class. Classes were in the morning with a lunch break and then more class time. The intricacies of Ecclesiastical Latin with its multitude of noun declensions, verb conjunctions and inflections became my daily challenge.

However, what intrigued me was the life style of the monks. The daily regime of prayer, work and study brought a rhythm into my life that I had never experienced. The simplicity and beauty of a measured life began its work on me. Even the daily struggle with Latin became more palatable. Before I knew it I was ready to sign up to become a monk!

Nearing the end of summer school, I called my dad and told him that I was not coming home. I said that I decided that being a Benedictine monk was my future.
I was not ready for his response. It went something like this: “No son of mine is going to spend his life in a monastery. You get your butt back here or I am coming down there and dragging you home.”

I am reminded of these words from the Book of Proverbs: “ A wise youth accepts his father’s rebuke. It is a wonderful heritage to have an honest father.” Thanks Dad for having kept me on track!





No comments:

Post a Comment