Thursday, October 16, 2014

Mad At God Part 1

Mad At God: Part 1

It was a sunny winter morning. The previous night two feet of snow fell in the Bridger Mountains above Bozeman, Montana. I was plowing the parking lot at the lodge. No small task for an eight foot plow on the front of a 1975 Chevy Suburban. All was going well until I got high centered in a snow drift. That's when something snapped; not on the Suburban but in me.

You see there was trouble brewing in my heart. I was unaware that I was running over my emotional red line and ready to crash. It had been several years since I left the Catholic priesthood.  On the surface I was a happily married man running a ski lodge.  Inside I had reached the boiling point of anger and resentment toward God.

I wasn't going anywhere. The truck would't budge. The plow was embedded in a deep drift. Instead of taking a deep breath and reaching for a shovel, I started swearing and pounding the steering wheel. Obviously that wasn't  going to get me unstuck. I jumped out to survey the situation. Yep, I was was stuck.

I started yelling at God.  Giving him a piece of my mind. As my volume increased so did my four letter words. Working up a full head of steam, I alternated between cursing God, banging my fists on the truck hood and kicking the tires. All of which did nothing to free the truck from the snow. Nearing exhaustion, I leaned against the truck and began to cry.

Emotionally exhausted and struggling to catch my breath, I heard this voice calling to me, "Dan, Dan". Thinking it was the Lord warning me that a lightening bolt was on the way, I looked for a place to hide. Again, "Dan, Dan". The voice didn't sound like God, it sounded like Judy. I looked toward the direction of the lodge and heard Judy say, "Dan, when you are finished with your temper tantrum, come on it. Your lunch is ready!"

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment