Monday, July 13, 2015

The Problem Driven Church


The Problem Driven Church
Standing on the front steps of the church one Sunday morning, an elderly lady approached me and said: “I am so mad at God for taking his church back.” Then she proceeded to strike me with her cane. It wasn’t what I expected as I stood there greeting people. I didn’t have a chance to respond and she never spoke to me again.
 I’ve heard a lot of reasons why people don’t go to church; too much talk about money, sin and the devil. But I have a theory as to why most people don’t like church. It comes from years of pastoring small churches. I believe that non-church people don’t want to be associated with narrow minded, bigoted, judgmental imperfect people.
 If the truth were to be told, the church often does not have a very good reputation. We are quite adamant about what we are against but not very articulate about what we stand for. We are seen as having an agenda to get people saved, to church and to be just like us. I am afraid our critics are not far off the mark.
As I read the Bible, I see Jesus spending time building relationships with prostitutes, tax collectors and other assorted sinners. His focus appears to be to share good news about his father who loves people and wants a relationship with them. Jesus had some harsh words to say to religious leaders who were more interested in manipulating people with guilt and shame.
Attitude change does not come easy. The unwritten commandments of church life focus on “we have always done it this way” and “us four and no more.” Jesus modeled a different attitude “they will know you by your love.” He is more interested in people than the rules, the reverends and the rituals. What would church look like if this were the emphasis?
Oh, the little old lady who attacked me with her cane. She was mad that the Episcopal Church updated the 1928 Book of Common Prayer. An interesting reason to be mad at God!

No comments:

Post a Comment