Monday, February 22, 2016

Sheila


Sheila
Recently my good friend and mentor died. She had been ill for some time. Talking with her long distance on the phone became an increasing emotional ordeal. For the last dozen years she lived in Florida with her friend Kit. My son Tim and I went to visit her last October knowing that this would be the last time we would see her. Watching a friend lose their physical health in old age, even from a distance, is a painful reminder of our human fragility.
Knowing that Sheila is finally home with the Lord is certainly some consolation. But the reality that all my mentors are gone invites an aloneness that I do not welcome. It was so easy to call and ask for counsel with the assurance that wisdom would speak forth. Those voices are now silenced by death. I am faced with having to seek the Lord on my own accord.
I do not write an obituary for my friend, although she surely deserves one. Rather, I am reflecting on all that the Lord gave to me as Sheila shared her relationship with God. One thing I have learned is that God puts people in our life to enrich us. That enrichment comes by allowing others to speak the truth in love. Our response of willingness to listen and apply the truth brings forth abundant blessing.
I find it unfortunate that in our age of social media face-to-face interaction seems to be on the decrease. What has happened to the old fashioned “in your face” discourse? I tell you Shelia was a pro at telling it like it is to your face. She would go where angels fear to trod. That is what I most liked about her. Lots of people have trouble with that kind of personality and I understand. With Sheila you always knew where she stood even if you didn’t agree.
The Lord never ceases to amaze me. He is so creative with his messengers. The Bible records the many ways God spoke to people. My friend Sheila was a wise woman. I am most thankful for the years we walked together.
Requiesce In Pace, Mi Amice

No comments:

Post a Comment