Monday, April 25, 2016

His Voice


His Voice
Rummaging through boxes of acquired memories from forty-one years of family life, I found a box of VCR tapes. What a surprise. I had forgotten that we once had a video camera that recorded our early years as a family. I got excited and wanted to see what was on those tapes. The only problem was I no longer had a VCR recorder. Like almost everyone else we had gone DVD.
When someone told me that you could take these tapes to Costco and for a price have them turned into DVDs, I got excited. On my next visit to Costco, I brought one VCR just to see how much it would cost and if it could really be made into a DVD. To my surprise all things are possible at Costco. I was told it would take a few weeks and $20. I knew I was about to experience “back to the future.”
Judy and I were nearly in tears as we watched the past unfold before our eyes. On this disc was a trip my parents made to visit us when we lived in Havre, Montana. They traveled out from Minnesota in an RV. Just to see our kids at a young age again and us looking not so old was a real treat. We laughed and cried as we had a glimpse into the past.
For me, the most remarkable thing was hearing my father’s voice again. I was shocked that after fourteen years, I heard his voice. One never forgets the voice of a parent. Dad’s deep tone resonated in my ears as he spoke, yelled and laughed all those years ago. What memories flooded back with the sound of his voice. I am thankful that I could again hear his voice.
Jesus has something to say about his voice: “The gatekeeper opens the gate for the shepherd and the sheep recognize his voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.”
Jesus knows your name. Do you recognize his voice?



No comments:

Post a Comment