Monday, October 24, 2016

Babies Galore


Babies Galore

I confess that babies are not my thing. It's not that I don't like them. How can anybody not like newborn babies. It's just that I don't ooh and awe at the thought of little ones whose needs are many. I prefer them when they can walk, talk and care for themselves. Sorry! It must be some kind of guy thing.

Recently two families in our church announced that they are expecting another child. In a congregation our size such an announcement gets people excited especially all the moms and grandmas. Lots of talk about when is your due date, do you want a boy or a girl, maybe even twins. We are growing our fellowship the old fashioned way, one baby at a time.

Several days after this announcement, I received a text from my oldest son who lives in Portland, Oregon telling me that they are expecting a baby. Well that really got my attention. I figured that they were a one-child family and no more grandchildren from them. Judy and I could hardly contain ourselves. We were going to be grandparents again.

We were just recovering from that surprise when we got a Face Time call from our daughter and her husband who live in Nashville, Tennessee announcing that they are pregnant. We were speechless, thinking that they were not going to have any children. Once we got over the shock, we were elated that we were going to be grandparents twice more. It doesn't get much better than that.

The Bible has a lot to say about children. Here are two of my favorites: “Don't you see that children are God’s best gift? The fruit of the womb his generous legacy? Like a warrior’s fistful of arrows are the children of a vigorous youth. Oh, how blessed are you parents, with your quiver full of children.” And “Old people are distinguished by grandchildren; children take pride in their parents.”

If all goes well, we will be the proud grandparents of six grandchildren unless, of course, someone has twins! I have to confess I am more than excited; I am ecstatic about be a grandfather.







No comments:

Post a Comment