Monday, May 22, 2017

Funerals


Funerals
As a pastor, I meet people in a lot of different circumstances. Many of those are good times: weddings, anniversaries, baptisms, and graduations. Some are difficult occasions: divorces, marriage counseling and family disputes. The most difficult are serious illness and death. Only the experience of walking through these situations equips you to say and do that which brings comfort.
Over the years I have officiated at a lot of funerals, almost to many to count. The closer you are to the deceased, the harder it is. The most difficult funerals I did were for my mom and dad. It was only by the grace of God that I made it through.
Three other funerals I do remember. Each was unique. All three were graveside services. The first was a burial at a National Cemetery. The family gathered around as the casket was lowered into the ground. All of a sudden, the wife jumped into the grave! I was at a loss for words as several of us pulled her out.
 The second was a large family graveside service. As I was saying the closing prayer, the frame that held the casket over the grave collapsed and the casket went headfirst into the grave. We all stood there not believing what just happened. Then the family started laughing and one of them said, “Dad would have really enjoyed that.” What a time we had getting that set right.
The third was a graveside in Boot Hill, Virginia City, Montana. We were burying a friend. The family had made the casket. Those standing there were wearing cowboy hats and slickers. The sky was dark grey with thunder in the distance. After I said the prayers, ropes lowered the casket. It was like a chapter our of a Louis L’Amour book.
Over the years, I have come to see that the most important part of pastoring is being there. Just my presence and what I represent can bring peace and stability into a very difficult situation. I have learned that a few words along with a willingness to embrace and be present are all that is required.
The Bible says: “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful servants.” Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment