Monday, May 21, 2018

Ice Cream


Ice Cream

It was Friday evening in early spring here in Montana. That means you can experience all four seasons in one day if you are lucky. Having just toured our granddaughter’s science fair at her school, I suggested to Judy that we drive over to our favorite ice cream parlor for a little indulgence.

Well, it’s not exactly an ice cream parlor. There’s this gas station – convenience store on the south side of town that sells everything from milk and eggs to fresh doughnuts. It’s a gathering hole for ice cream fanatics. They sell Wilcoxson’s ice cream, a Montana made ice cream that is the best! You can get a heaping styrofoam dish of your favorite flavor (ours being coconut cream) for less than the price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Moose Tracks, Pecan Praline and Huckleberry are also my favorites.

Back to my story. Ahead of us in line at the counter was a couple with four children. Realizing that it would take some time for them to decide which flavor to order, I casually said, “Hey, we could join your family and pretend we were your grandparents.” They smiled and continued to focus on the flavor options. I was a little irritated that I had to wait while they sampled and then ordered. When we got our ice cream and went to the cash register to pay, we were told that the family ahead of us paid for their grandparents!

That family’s generosity blew us away. While savoring my pecan praline, I felt ashamed of my grumpy irritability at having to again learn the lesson of patience. Why am I always in such a hurry? Slow down and enjoy the moment and the ice cream.

Remember: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment