Monday, November 26, 2018

Making Arrangements


Making Arrangements

For two years Judy and I talked about setting our affairs in order. We had already updated our wills and our advanced medical directives. All that was left was to make our funeral arrangements. The reason it took us so long was the fact that neither of us wanted to face the fact that we are getting old and it was time to make a decision.

After talking the issue to death, I finally made the call to the local funeral home asking for information. A lady from the mortuary came on a warm summer afternoon. Sitting on the patio among the blooming daisies and chirping birds, we discussed our options. After she left, we sat there in silence for some time sipping a glass of wine. Finally, Judy said, “Let’s just take the money and go on an all-inclusive to Mexico instead.”

That not being a viable option, I started looking for a cemetery. With some help from the funeral home, I found a nice plot in the city cemetery. I took Judy to get final approval. While standing there we realized that eventually we wouldn’t be enjoying the view of the Bridger Mountains, only our ashes. Later, when I went to city hall to purchase the plot, I asked if I could pay with my frequent flyer credit card, hoping I would live long enough to use the miles. That brought a chuckle from the city clerk.

Having purchased a resting place and prepaying for our cremation, the only thing left was to choose a marker. There are only two granite engravers in town. The one I visited was most helpful in explaining the types of material and engraving. I didn’t realize there were so many choices. With Judy’s approval, the marker was ordered and will be placed on our plot next spring. Then we can come back and enjoy our investment without actually dying. Maybe I will bring a bottle of wine, so we can sit there and take in the view.

We are in relatively good health and have no immediate plans for our demise.  Having put all this information in an envelope and secured in my gun safe, we felt it necessary to inform our children. They were not excited about our being responsible parents and relieving them of a future financial and emotional burden. When told, one of them said, “Now all we have to do is sit and wait.”

 Not the response I was hoping for.


No comments:

Post a Comment