Monday, October 21, 2019

Flawsome


Flawsome

I listen to Country Western music on Sirius XM station while driving around town. My favorite channel is Willie’s Roadhouse: a 24/7 medley of classical country western. Every once in a while, my favorite song comes on; my heart beats fast and my spirit is lifted. “It’s Hard to be Humble” written by Willie himself. 

The chorus goes: “Oh Lord, it’s hard to be humble when you’re perfect in every way. I can’t wait to look in the mirror cause I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me. I must be a hell of a man. Oh, Lord it’s hard to be humble but I’m doing the best that I can.”

Then I found this post of Facebook: FLAWSOME (adj.) an individual who embraces their ‘flaws’ and knows they’re awesome regardless. Could this be what Willie is singing about? Could it be that all those years I spent trying to correct character flaws were an exercise in futility? I could have focused on accentuating the positive.

One of the trials of living is dealing with people who feel that it their responsibility to point out what’s wrong with you. In all my years of public ministry there has rarely been a season that someone didn’t feel the need to address my flaws. I confess I have my share of blind spots. However, it is difficult to be humble when people are so drawn to them.

There are advantages to be an imperfect human. You can rest assured that you will not be overlooked. Just like Job of the Bible who was besieged with one personal disaster after another, close friends deluged him with free advise that only heaped more guilt on the man. The Lord had to intervene to bring Job back from the brink.

Willie is right: it is hard to be humble. It is not something that comes naturally. The world we live in places great emphasis on self: self-worth, self-value, self-esteem, etc. Humble doesn’t mean thinking less of oneself. From a biblical perspective it means thinking about yourself less!

The Bible says “be content  with who you are and don’t put on airs. God’s strong hand is on you; he’ll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment