Monday, January 25, 2021

Chess

 

Chess

 

It was my dad who introduced me to chess. I was ten when he brought out the chess board and began teaching me the names, positions and moves of each piece. I was fascinated. Little did I know it would be the one game that would last a lifetime.

 

Not long ago I watched The Queen’s Gambit, a Netflix mini-series. It was a good movie that reignited my interest in chess. I have played the game on and off again ever since my father taught me. There were seasons when I didn’t even think about chess. But whenever I heard the word, I was eager to dust off the board and find a playing partner.

 

For years I collected chess sets. I was into unique pieces that brought character to the game. An onyx set from Mexico and another set made of olive wood from Israel were among my favorites. Also, a small magnetic set I bought in Germany many years ago. Most of my collection I have either given away or lost in moving back and forth to Montana.

 

Recently my oldest son challenged me to a game via the Internet. He found the app Social Chess that supports online games. Quite different playing chess on my iPhone. I am technically as well as strategically challenged. Each player is allowed up to three days to make a move. That may seem like an extravagant amount of time, but it works well with our busy schedules. By the way, I won the first game.

 

Here’s a little wisdom about chess for those who are unfamiliar with the game:

 

“No one has ever won a game of chess by only taking forward moves. Sometimes you have to move backwards to take better steps forward. That’s life.”

 

“Chess says everything about husband and wife. The King has to take things one step at a time, while the Queen can do whatever she wants.”

 

Your move!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment