Monday, October 16, 2017

Log Splitter


Log Splitter

I confess I love all that technology has to offer. I am old enough to remember land line phones, black and white TV, and Saturday afternoon matinees at the local theater. Now I have at my disposal an iPhone, a computer that can call anywhere in the world, watch color TV, show movies and have Siri answer all my questions.

However, if you live where I do, in the mountains of Montana, once you get out of town, that fancy phone isn’t much use. That brings me to what’s really important in life for a mountain man: a good chain saw and a log splitter. You see, some of us still have a real fireplace where, on those cold winter nights, a blazing fire warms heart and home.

That’s why I am making a case for the most advanced technology in the mountains: the log splitter. Again, I am old enough to remember using an ax or sledge hammer and metal wedge to split logs. I tell you that was a long and arduous process. Now the old-fashioned sweat and muscle method has been replaced by technology.

For the uninitiated, the mechanics of the log splitter consist of a gas engine and hydraulics mounted on a small trailer frame. Placing a log on one end of trailer rail, engaging the hydraulic lever, the wedge moves forward splitting the log in half.
It’s a two-man job: one lifting the logs on the rail and the other engaging the lever.

Earlier this month, my friend Hal invited me to be the lever man. We spent a glorious Saturday and Sunday afternoon lifting, splitting and loading wood into the back of our pickups. By the end of the weekend we had split about six cords. Without the splitter, it would have taken us a lot longer not to mention the damage to our aging bodies.

I enjoyed Hal and I working together. It gave us time to catch up on guy stuff. The blend of manual labor and technology made pleasant work on an autumn weekend in the mountains. It is quite satisfying to see those neat stacks of firewood. The smell of freshly split pine is a tonic for the mountain man’s soul.

 The hard work’s done, it’s time to get ready for hunting season.




1 comment:

  1. Your ode to the splitter might make it grow on a guy, but how about the same on a chain saw? A mountain man's basic friend.

    ReplyDelete