Monday, October 23, 2017

Stain Master


Stain Master

I got the call mid-morning. My calendar was clear, I was free to respond. I quickly changed into my grungy work clothes and headed out the door. Another fence needed staining and only the stain master could do the job. Freed from desk work and pastoral responsibilities, I grabbed my red plastic bucket filled with disposable rubber gloves, wide brimmed hat and paint brushes. Off to work I went!

You see, I moonlight for Blue Spruce Services, a small construction company started by two of my sons, Tim and Nick. Several months ago, they quit their day jobs, formed an LLC and started working for themselves. They started out doing home repair work and then found their sweet spot in building fences. Tim has a background as a finished carpenter and Nick as a floor installer and cable TV guy.
They are talented men.

They approached me one day, asking if I was interested in doing a little side work staining the fences they were building. It would be part-time work and the pay would be good. I jumped at the chance to be outside doing physical labor. Besides, it would be quality time with my sons. What more could a dad ask for?

When the time came to negotiate my pay, they came up with the idea of supporting my candy bar addition. I particularly like Salted Nut Rolls. They said the first job was worth two Rolls but because I accidentally spilt some of the stain, I was docked one candy bar. I knew I was being taken to the cleaners, but they are my sons!

Truthfully, they have been very generous to me. In payment for my first stain job, they installed new front breaks on my truck. The payment for the second job was a remote starter for my truck. Not to bad for part-time work. But the best payment is working alongside two sons who labor hard and take pride in their work. A dad can’t ask for more than that.

Yes, the stain master at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment